Fire by Kristin Cashore Review

Title: Fire
Author: Kristin Cashore
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Graceling, companion; Bitterblue is the sequel
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: The companion to Graceling, Fire swept me away and stole my heart--I liked it even better than Graceling and I cannot wait until I get to read Bitterblue!

Fire is a human-shaped monster, a creature of irresistible beauty who is gifted with the curse of controlling other people's minds--everyone, that is, except Prince Brigan's. Fire learns to use her power judiciously, along the way finding love, betrayal, and the real meaning of family--as well as discovering what it truly means to be a monster.

What I enjoyed:
-Fire, and the fear of her own power, and the frustration at her constant way of sticking out, despite only needing solitude
-Brigan
-Fire's world, and the way her background was explained so thoroughly
-Brigan and his family
-The way Leck's background was explained some as well
-Fire's guard
-Her discovery of family and love
-The beautiful prose ('Not all people who inspired devotion were monsters.')
-The pacing--it flew, and I really, really loved it
-Brocker

What I didn't enjoy:
-Cansrel
-Nax
-Archer

Other than minor blips, I really loved Fire--even more than Graceling--and I cannot wait for Bitterblue--I hope it's as much as a treat as the first two! Next on deck: Frostbite by Richelle Mead!

Comments

Popular Posts