Gallant by V.E. Schwab Review

 Title: Gallant

Author, Illustator: V.E. Schwab, Manuel Sumberac


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


V.E. Schwab has always been one of my very favorite writers, so, when I discovered she had a new book coming out, I reserved it at my local library. It’s been sitting at the top of my library stack ever since I picked it up, and I was eager to read it before I had to return it. I devoured this dark, gorgeous fairy tale in three days; it is perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman and Holly Black! Honestly, this book might be one of my favorites in Schwab’s entire body of work, and I also adored the black and white illustrations, lovingly done by Manuel Sumberac. This book is unlike any I’ve ever read; truly unique. A stunning, dark story brimming with secrets, danger, and dark worlds hidden behind old doors.


Olivia Prior is a mute, and an orphan to boot. Stuck at Merilance’s School for Girls, she belongs to no one and nothing, and knows that she will likely spend the rest of her days in this prison of a school. But that all changes when she receives a letter from a long-lost uncle, asking her to come to his home, called Gallant. Eager to leave and desperate to claim her new family and identity, Olivia arrives at the house. She discovers that not everything is what it seems, and that the secret may be in the journals her mother left her. But something dark lurks in the shadows of Gallant, and it will stop at nothing to gain its freedom…


I loved this book! I devoured it in all of three days; the illustrations were lush and gorgeous, the pacing was breakneck, and I loved the disability representation that Schwab presented in Olivia! I was absolutely spellbound by this delicious, dark fairy tale; it really gave me Coraline, a la Neil Gaiman, vibes. I loved all of the characters, especially Edgar, Hannah, and Victoria’s cousin. I loved the Gothic, scary mood that hovered over Gallant, as well as the dark, mysterious force that lurked within its shadows. One of my favorite things about the book was watching Olivia make her decision: protect Gallant and its residents, or take her place at the side of the evil that lurks within its walls. And that ending! I got literal chills from it. This book was so fantastic; a unique, fantastic book full of ghouls, darkness, and dangerous secrets! Highly recommended! The bottom line: Dark, rich, detailed and creepy, I loved Gallant! Absolutely stunning!

Comments

Popular Posts