The Project by Courtney Summers Review

 Title: The Project

Author: Courtney Summers

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Series: Standalone

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

TW: Emotional and physical abuse, murder, death, gore. If any of these things affect you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


Courtney Summers is one of my very favorite authors; I’ve read almost her entire body of work, and I’ve wanted to read The Project since before it came out. When I finished One Fine Fellow, I dove in, not really knowing what to expect. The Project is a dark, chilling book that explores the themes of faith, family, redemption and the need for acceptance. I just finished this book yesterday, and honestly, I’m still in shock over the ending! The Project might tie with Sadie for my favorite book she’s ever written. It was full of tension and more than a little bit of horror; I’ve never read a book quite like this one. The Project might be one of my favorite books of 2022; this story of two sisters’ quest to find the truth about a charitable organization called The Unity Project leads into somewhere so dark it’s nearly impossible to find your way out again.


Gloria ‘Lo’ Denham wakes up alone in the hospital after the car accident that took her parents’ lives. Her older sister, Bea, has left her behind for a coveted spot in The Unity Project, which may or may not be a cult. Desperate to find the truth, Lo begins to dig into the organization after the tragic death of one of its members. The book goes back and forth in time, between each sister, as the book goes on. Rife with tension, Lo wonders if she’s been deceived all along, or if, like her sister, she had been chosen by God for a special purpose. Lev Warren, The Redeemer and the leader of The Unity Project, promises purpose and salvation, but Lo suspects that he is hiding something. What happened to her beloved sister Bea? And what price will she pay for the truth?


I really, really loved this book! I was immediately captivated by the story of Bea and Lo, two sisters separated by secrets, lies, and a man who declares himself as a conduit for God and his word. The pacing was breakneck; I was tearing through this book, desperate to find answers. I loved every character in this searing, chilling novel, even Lev Warren. Cults are a touchy subject for me, but Summers treated the topic with compassion and grace. I was practically pulling my hair out as the book approached the end; even though I suspected what was going to happen, I was still totally crushed by the ending! Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book so much; it was tender, cutting, and more than a little terrifying because joining a cult could indeed happen to anyone if they aren’t careful. I will never forget The Project! The bottom line: Dark, chilling, and more a little horrific, I loved The Project! Next on deck: Lily of the Nile: A Novel of Cleopatra’s Daughter by Stephanie Dray!

Comments

Popular Posts