My Fine Fellow by Jennieke Cohen Review

 Title: My Fine Fellow

Author: Jennieke Cohen

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Historical Fiction

Series: Standalone

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


I loved Jennieke Cohen’s debut novel, which I read for one of my book clubs a few years ago, so, when I found out that she was writing a brand-new novel, I reserved it at my local library. It’s been sitting at the top of my library stack for a while now, and as soon as I was finished with Neon Gods, I dived in. This book was billed as a gender-flipped retelling of My Fair Lady, and I absolutely adored it. Of course, it didn’t hurt that food was a major focal point of the novel, either. Fast-paced, funny, and full of heart, My Fine Fellow might be my favorite of Cohen’s novels. Absolutely stunning!


Penelope Pickering and Helena Higgins are the best of friends, both of them determined to make their own way in the world of the culinary arts in 1830s England. When they meet a young pasty hawker named Elijah Little, Helena is struck with a grand idea for her graduating project from Culinaria school: reform Elijah into a gentleman chef and dazzle all of England’s high society, even Queen Charlotte and Princess Adelaide. As Elijah and Penelope get closer, Helena’s laser focus does not let up, even as it pushes her oldest and closest friend away. Will Elijah achieve his dream of being a chef? Or will he return to his tiny pasty cart with his tail between his legs? And what of his newfound affection for Miss Penelope Pickering?


I really, really enjoyed this book! Admittedly, it took me a little bit of time to get into the book, but it was very good! I loved the setting, Victorian England, vivid and true, sometimes horrifically so. The pacing was a little wobbly at first, but that was a minor quibble. Once I got into it, I flew through this book. I loved the characters, but Penelope and Elijah were my absolute favorite. I loved how food was a primary focal point in the book; reading the food descriptions made my mouth water! I also loved how the book called out Helena’s privilege and prejudices; that was one of my favorite parts of the book. And the ending; it was absolute perfection, and I loved it so much! My Fine Fellow is one of my favorite books of 2022! The bottom line: Rich with detail, funny, and full of heart, I loved My Fine Fellow! Next on deck: The Project by Courtney Summers!

Comments

Popular Posts