The Last Laugh by Mindy McGinnis Review

 Title: The Last Laugh

Author: Mindy McGinnis


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Horror/Thriller


Series: The Initial Insult, book two


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


TW: Misogyny, gore, death on-page. If any of these topics trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


The Initial Insult was one of my favorite books of the year, and quite possibly the favorite in McGinnis’s entire body of work. When I was finished with Shine, I dove right into The Last Laugh. It picks up where The Initial Insult left off, with Tress dealing with the consequences of her actions in the last book, and with a new character being thrust into the spotlight, Kermit ‘Ribbit’ Usher, Tress’s cousin. Bound by blood and bond to his cruel, cold mother, Lenore, he intends on making things right, even if it costs him everything. The book goes back and forth, between Tress and Ribbit, with the latter plotting his revenge on the town of Amontillado, which relishes in his humiliation and suffering. When he finds Felicity, she will take her place at his side, and he will demand penance from those who have hurt him. But Ribbit has secrets of his own to hide, and unearthing them could make him burn…


Now, I want to make this post as spoiler-free as possible, for those who haven’t read it. This book picked up right where The Initial Insult left off, and it started off with a bang! The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately spellbound by Tress and Ribbit’s distinct voices, one exhausted, bone-weary, and desperate to find out the secrets of her past, and the other set on a bright, burning future in which his revenge is realized and he is accepted by the community that has tried to ostracize him. I adored every terse, frightening moment of this series ender, especially the ending! It was like a kick to the chest, in a good way. I really loved this book, right down to the final moments. It was fulfilling, and full of twists and turns that I didn’t see coming, especially regarding Tress’s parents. And that ending! I wasn’t expecting it, but I loved it so much! Rich with detail, darkness, and terrifying secrets, I adored The Last Laugh! The bottom line: The sequel to the runaway sleeper hit, The Initial Insult, I loved The Last Laugh! Next on deck: Unravel the Dusk by Elizabeth Lim!


Comments

Popular Posts