Prophecy of the Stones by Flavia Bujor Review

 Title: Prophecy of the Stones


Author: Flavia Bujor


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


As soon as I was finished with Lily of the Nile, I dove into the next book at the top of the library stack, and Prophecy of the Stones was it. I read this way back in high school, and wanted to read it again. This atmospheric fantasy was let down by paper-thin characters; I liked the setting and the many magical creatures, but I was hoping for more from the characters. Still, for a debut novel by someone who was sixteen when they wrote it, it was a very good attempt. At times, the magical world of Fairytale and the juxtaposition between it and the real world was too flimsy. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, despite its flaws.


Jade, Amber and Opal are three young women who don’t know each other, yet they are forced together by fate and the magical stones that they carry with them. Prophesied to be the saviors of the realm from the malicious Council of Twelve, they must join forces and save the world. Meanwhile, in the real world, in Paris, Joa fights for her life after an accident that takes the lives of both of her parents and leaves her immobile. She grasps at the colorful, magical dream, torn between resignation and the fierce, deep desire to live. Will the three girls do their duty and survive various trials? Will Joa learn to live at last?


This book felt very juvenile at times, but there were things I enjoyed about it. This book was like a combo of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, with fierce battle scenes, magical spells, prophecy, and danger. Though the pacing was slow, and some of the characters flat, there was a vast cast of villains and creatures that really captured my imagination; evil birds that feed on fear, monsters that spread evil as easily as breathing, a child mage who can see into people’s hearts. I was fully invested, despite the characters basically being caricatures. I also liked the way that the pacing went back and forth between the magical world and the real one; by the end, I was rooting for Joa.  I really liked the ending; it was very satisfying. Overall, for a debut novel, this book was good, but it wasn’t exactly groundbreaking. Still, I don’t regret reading it; I only wish that the characters had been more well-thought-out. The bottom line: This book just felt like a run-of-the-mill fantasy, with elements from The Neverending Story, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t spectacular. Next on deck: Gallant by V.E. Schwab!

Comments

Popular Posts