Shine by Jessica Jung Review

 Title: Shine

Author: Jessica Jung

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Series: Shine, book one

Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


TW: Misogyny. If this topic triggers you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


This book was sitting on the top of my library stack, and I wanted to finish it before it went back to the library, so, as soon as I was finished with Gallant, I dove in. This book was a warm, sparkling gem that deep-dived into a global phenomenon, K-Pop, and I loved every minute of it! This book was like pulling back the curtain on an entirely different world, where skill and dedication is everything and even the slightest misstep could mean ultimate failure. I just finished this book a few days ago, and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it! I can’t wait for the sequel, Bright!


Rachel Kim, a New Yorker living in Seoul, has given up nearly everything in pursuit of her dream, to become the next big female K-Pop star. Her family has moved all the way across the globe, even though her mother makes no secret of her disapproval. When Rachel makes an awful mistake that ends up being recorded, she fears her days being a DB Records darling are at an end. Enter Jason Lee, cute, funny, and with a voice like honey, and Rachel begins to see her way to stardom, even if she has to sing with her number one competitor, Choo Mina, to do it. But as Rachel’s feelings for Jason deepen, she must decide if she wants love or fame more, and she soon realizes that it’s impossible to know who to trust…


I really, really loved this book! I didn’t know much about K-Pop, just the bare bones of it, and I loved how Jung shone a spotlight on the good and the bad of the industry, as well as the double standards that women face within it. I was captivated by Rachel’s frank, funny voice, and I loved the pacing; it felt like I was in the spotlight right alongside her. I adored Rachel’s family, and the contrast between her and the other K-Pop stars. Jason and Mina were brilliant foils to her, and despite their flaws, I was cheering for them too. There were so many different characters it was kind of hard to keep track; I wish that there was a character list in the front of the book. There were times when I had to go back and figure out which character was being talked about. Nonetheless, this book might be one of my favorites, and the ending made it all worth it! I can’t wait for Bright! The bottom line: A glittering, gorgeous gem of a book, I loved Shine, even though there were times I was a little lost. Next on deck: The Last Laugh by Mindy McGinnis!

Comments

Popular Posts