Icons by Margaret Stohl Review

Title: Icons
Author: Margaret Stohl
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian Fiction
Series: Icons, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A taut, unique, science fiction thriller, Icons had me frantically turning pages--I loved it! Easily a favorite of 2013!

Nothing has been the same for Dol since The Day: The Day her parents dropped dead in their home, The Day she started to feel the emotions of everyone around her. The Day The Lords invaded Earth and won a war Earth didn't even know it was fighting. She lives for the most part peacefully with The Padre, Ro, and the rest of the inhabitants--until the Sympa soldiers invade her home and take her away. Meeting two other people with mysterious powers, Tima and Lucas, Dol must make a terrifying choice: to fight, or to stay silent, because the consequences will be dire..

What I enjoyed:
-Dol's narrative, magnetic and real and raw, beautiful and taut
-The pacing of the novel, breakneck from the very beginning--there was action in every page!
-The terrifying world that Stohl paints, where to be human is to be in constant danger--literally
-Dol herself, sorrowful and sad and brave, despite her want to just stay silent at the beginning of the novel
-Ro, and his relationship with Dol, as well as his fiery personality--I really enjoyed him
-Lucas--he was one of my favorite characters and the one I related to the most
-Tima, angry and fearful but still strong
-Fortis
-Doc
-The ending--it was amazing, perfect, and I didn't see it coming!
-I love the way the twists were incorporated--I was pleasantly blindsided by everything

What I didn't enjoy:
-The Colonel
-The Ambassador


I loved, loved, loved Icons--I can't wait for the sequel in July! Anyone looking for a good science fiction novel should snatch this gem up! Next on deck: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa!

Comments

Popular Posts