The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa Review

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror/Dystopian Fiction
Series: The Blood of Eden, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A dark, thrilling dystopian ride, I loved The Immortal Rules--vampire books are a dime a dozen nowadays, but this book truly shines! Definitely a favorite for me!

Allison Sekemoto lives in New Covington, a city in which vampires rule human "cattle" with iron fists. She forages with her friends, orphaned and struggling for survival, driven by her hatred for the government and for vampires in general, as well as the Rabids--terrifying creatures that are like zombies, only with the craving of blood instead of human flesh. But one night Allie is viciously attacked. On the cusp of death, she chooses to become a vampire. And in doing so, she discovers what it truly means to be human.

What I enjoyed:
-The dark, tense world that Kagawa paints, thrilling and terrifying and truly scary, as well as depressing and hopeless throughout a good amount of the book
-The way that the author chose not to romanticize Allie's transformation, showing that vampires are not creatures of dark seduction
-Allie herself, and her narrative of the story, a girl truly skilled at survival, but trying to find a moral balance as well, even after turning--her whole evolution was truly amazing to see
-Kanin, Allie's sire and teacher and the father figure she's never had, teaching her how to survive in the human world
-Zeke
-Jeb's flock, although I didn't like Ruth
-The constant twists and turns that I never saw coming, even after reading this book once before in the previous year
-Jackal--I can't wait to see what happens with him and Allie in the sequel!
-The ending

What I didn't enjoy:
-Jeb
-Ruth
-At times the book felt a little bit too dark for me--I wished there were more humor, just to lighten up an otherwise heavy, dark novel

I loved The Immortal Rules--it is truly a gem for me! Anyone who loves vampire stories and strong heroines should pick it up from their local bookstore or library! Next on deck: Unbreakable by Kami Garcia!

Comments

Popular Posts