Ink by Amanda Sun Review

Title: Ink
Author: Amanda Sun
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Paper Gods, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A lush, gorgeous, deliciously different tale both dark and fantastic, I really enjoyed Ink--it was lovely, and worth reading!

Katie Greene has just moved to Japan. Lost in a completely different world after tragically losing her mother, she's just trying to tread water. But it all changes when she meets Tomohiro, a beautiful, aloof boy who can make strange things happen: pens explode, drawings move, and ink drips in out of nowhere. Reluctantly drawn to him and desperate to discover the truth, she soon finds herself thrust into a world of magic, danger, and ink--and she must decide where her loyalties lie.

What I enjoyed:
-The lush, gorgeous background of modern Japan, beautiful and almost like a fairy tale, so much different than other stories
-The dark, different premise of the novel, captivating, creative, and a lot of fun
-Katie, and her evolution throughout the novel from reluctant American to a heroine that all of Japan should be cheering for!
-Tomo, and his talent, different and cool--as well as the depth of him, despite outside appearances
-Yuki and Takana
-Jun
-Satoshi
-The pacing of the novel, completely breakneck and perfect--I couldn't see anything coming and it was all timed perfectly
-Diane
-The ending--I can't wait for book two!

What I didn't enjoy:
-Tomo annoyed me at times, simply because the aloof hot boy is a dime a dozen these days

I really, really enjoyed Ink--I'm glad I went with my gut and bought it! Anyone looking for a dark paranormal with an interesting premise should snatch it up! Next on deck: Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey!

Comments

Popular Posts