The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson Review

Title: The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Author: Rae Carson
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Fire and Thorns, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A start to an epic adventure trilogy, The Girl of Fire and Thorns took a while to keep my attention--but once it picked up, I loved it, especially the main character, Elisa!

Elisa has lived her whole life in her older sister's shadow--her whole life in the background. She is betrothed to a king on her sixteenth birthday, and she finds herself thrust into a dangerous world of magic, betrayal, and secrets. When she is suddenly displaced from the palace, Elisa discovers that she must find the depth of her own strength and power, despite her misgivings--or it could indeed be the end of her..

What I enjoyed:
-Elisa's narrative, as soon as it picked up
-The pacing was breakneck--so much so I was frantically turning pages trying to keep up!
-Elisa herself, in particular her character evolution throughout the novel from a meek, quiet little mouse to a warrior and truly badass heroine
-The many characters that Elisa encounters and later befriends, like Cosme and Humberto
-The huge, sprawling, magical world that Carson creates, almost like something out of a Tolkien novel
-The ending--I can't wait for the sequels!

What I didn't enjoy:
-Alejandro
-Arina
-Elisa in the beginning annoyed me--she was very whiny and it bothered me, but that changed once the book progressed

I loved this novel--not immediately, but I loved it! It was a wonderful treat of an adventure novel. Any fantasy fan should grab it at the library! Next on deck: The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas!

Comments

Popular Posts