Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton Review

Title: Some Quiet Place
Author: Kelsey Sutton
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Some Quiet Place, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A beautiful, creepy thriller, Some Quiet Place swept me up entirely--an original, lovely debut that had me biting my nails! I loved it!

Elizabeth Caldwell sees emotions--literally. She sees the manifestations of Emotions--Longing next to the boy at school, Courage alongside her best friend dying--and of course, beautiful, lovely, enigmatic Fear, her only friend--capricious and mysterious, sometimes he torments her, other times he shows he wants more than she can give. When Elizabeth begins to feel a dark presence stalking her, she races to find the truth, before its consequences catch up to her.

What I enjoyed:
-The beautiful prose of the novel, poetic and perfect and lovely and creepy at some points
-The whole premise of the novel was really cool--literally every emotion and element personified--and most of all it was different
-The pacing of the novel--it was maddeningly quick throughout most of the novel
-Elizabeth, and her strangeness--despite it being disconcerting at first, it made sense later on
-The mystery that Elizabeth races to unravel throughout the novel--it kept me on my toes and I didn't see it coming
-Fear, who was my favorite character of the novel, complex and deep and frightening all at once--at times I had goosebumps on my arms!
-Joshua, and the way he befriends Elizabeth
-Maggie
-The villain of the story
-The slow, torturous way Elizabeth's origins were doled out
-Charles

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times Elizabeth came across as really flat
-Sarah, especially with her willingness to stay in her situation
-Tim
-Sometimes the violence in the novel was a little too much to handle for me--it was too graphic

I loved Some Quiet Place and I can't wait for the sequel in July! Anyone looking for a paranormal novel that's different should pick it up at their nearest bookstore or library. Next on deck: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake!

Comments

Popular Posts