Dark Star by Bethany Frenette Review

Title: Dark Star
Author: Bethany Frenette
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Dark Star, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Action-packed, romantic, and dark, Dark Star had me on the edge of my seat--I read it in a couple of hours! One of the best superhero novels I've come across!

Audrey Whitticomb is the daughter of Morning Star--superhero of the Twin Cities and sole savior of their beloved town. This has never bothered Audrey--that is, until her psychic powers alert her to killings throughout the city, and she knows the truth: Her mother fights Harrowers, terrifying creatures from the Beneath, and bloodthirsty killers--and guess what? They're all out for Audrey's blood. Audrey must find a way to save herself, her mother, her mother's annoying sidekick, Leon, and the city--before it's too late.

What I enjoyed:
-The hilarious, snappy prose that had me laughing my head off
-Audrey's distinct personality, and her desire to be like her mother, despite everything--and her powers
-Lucy
-The dark, yet realistic world that everyone lives in (especially the Harrowers)
-Tink and Gideon
-The mythology of the Kin's origins
-Mickey
-Esther and the twins
-Patrick Tigue
-The origins surrounding Audrey's birth, and secrets surrounding her
-Leon
-Shane
-The way I had no idea what was coming next
-The way this wholly original superhero novel was executed

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times the prose seemed to drag
-Mr. Alvarez (I pictured George Lopez the entire time I was reading about him)

I really liked Dark Star--anyone looking for an action-packed adventure, or for an awesome heroine, or just a superhero novel in general should pick up Dark Star--it was wonderful! Next on deck: Juliet, Immortal by Stacey Jay!

Comments

Popular Posts