Sanctum by Sarah Fine Review

Title: Sanctum
Author: Sarah Fine
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fiction
Series: Guards of the Shadowlands, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Dark, frightening, and action-packed, I loved Sanctum--especially the romance that blooms between Lela and Malachi--I can't wait for the sequel!

Lela Santos isn't your typical juvie kid. She's been in quite a few fights, has dealt with more than most kids her age would ever dream. And now she's got a series problem: Lela's best friend, Nadia Vetter, has committed suicide via pills. While saying goodbye to her friend, Lela falls to her death and ends up in a terrifying place: the Shadowlands. Whilst there, she tries desperately to find her friend--and in the process, she learns to trust, to love, and to be true to herself.

What I enjoyed:
-Lela, and her strength, and her dedication to her mission to find her best friend
-Malachi, and the way his past affects him and brings him closer to Lela
-The hypnotic, poetic prose
-Lela's evolution throughout the novel
-The dark world that Lela, Malachi, Ana, and Nadia inhabit, very real and terrifying
-The very real way that Malachi and Lela get closer throughout the novel
-Ana and her backstory
-The Guards
-The bittersweet ending, leaving the opening for a sequel
-The opening sentence, which had me sucked in
-The pacing of the novel, which was action-packed and didn't slow in the least
-The romance of Malachi and Lela

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times Nadia had me rolling my eyes
-Malachi and Lela's stubbornness

I really liked Sanctum--anyone looking for a good, dark horror novel that makes you think should pick it up. Next on deck: Pretty Little Secrets by Sara Shepard!

*Reread on March 15-18/15 through the Kindle Unlimited Library

I loved this book even more after reading it a second time! Especially Malachi--he in particular was my favorite. Dark and twisted, creepy and cruel, Sarah Fine's vision of the afterlife is wonderful! (Actually, this book made me an eternal fan of Sarah Fine's work. Totally fangirling and completely unashamed!) One of my favorite series of all time! Next on deck: Fractured by Sarah Fine!

Comments

Popular Posts