Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger Review

Title: Etiquette and Espionage
Author: Gail Carriger
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Steampunk/Fantasy/Science Fiction
Series: Finishing School, book the first
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: The first in a new young adult steampunk series, I loved Etiquette and Espionage--especially its spunky heroine, Sophronia--one of my favorites of 2013!

Sophronia Temminnick is a trial to her mother--always climbing things, fiddling with things, and her curtsy is absolutely horrendous! But her family is approached by a representative of Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality--and suddenly this spunky, plucky teenager is thrust into a world of intrigue, secrecy, friends, and what it truly means to be a lady of good standing--and what it means to have real courage.

What I enjoyed:
-Sophronia, plucky and spunky and hilarious
-Her family
-The constant hilarious quips--at times I ended up actually laughing aloud
-Dimity
-Pilover, and his school
-The intricate, believable world Carriger paints
-Braithwope and Niall
-The professors
-The girls that Sophronia meets at Miss Geraldine's
-Soap and the sooties
-Bumbersnoot
-Vieve

What I didn't enjoy:
-Monique
-Preshea
-Sometimes the narration stuttered a little
-At times I thought the mystery was a little too easy to figure out

I really, really liked Etiquette and Espionage, and I'm looking forward to the sequel! Next on deck: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman!

Comments

Popular Posts