The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima Review

Title: The Warrior Heir
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Heir Chronicles, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Magical, lyrical, and hilarious, I loved The Warrior Heir! More please! Easily one of the books I couldn't live without reading.

Jack Swift has forgotten to take the medicine for his heart. In doing so, he feels stronger, faster, more powerful. After sending a local bully flying out on the soccer field, his normal, ordinary life begins to utterly unravel. He discovers that he is a warrior, a Weirlind, selected to fight for a House of Weirs in a battle to the death. He discovers magic, first love, and power--and what it all will cost him.

What I enjoyed:
-The magical narration, which sucked me right in and didn't let go--so much so I ended up almost throwing a fit whenever I had to leave it
-The pacing--it was breakneck and I couldn't put it down!
-The lore of the novel, easily explained and understood
-Jack, and his greatly rendered character throughout the novel
-Jack's family, especially Becka and Aunt Linda
-Hastings
-Jessamine Longbranch
-Ellen and the quirky cast of characters that made up Jack's friends
-The rich history that surrounds Jack's heritage
-The ending--I can't wait for The Wizard Heir!

What I didn't enjoy:
-There was nothing I didn't love about this novel--it was amazing!

I loved The Warrior Heir and can't wait for the next one! (This novel gives me hope that I can still stay in touch with young adult fiction!) Next on deck: Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater!

Comments

Popular Posts