Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield Review

Title: Chantress
Author: Amy Butler Greenfield
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction
Series: Chantress, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Rich, magical, romantic and original, I loved Chantress--I'm looking forward to the sequel!

Lucy Marlowe has lived a quiet life off the coast of England for sixteen years. But that all changes when she hears a mysterious, enticing song on the wind. Unable to help herself, she gives voice to the song, and finds herself in the city of London, bewildered, lost, and frightened. Soon she discovers she is a Chantress, the last of her line, capable of singing magic into being. But with such power comes risk. Lucy discovers that an evil force called the Shadowgrims, and its leader, Scargrave, are after her, and they will stop at nothing until Lucy and everything she cares about is destroyed..

What I enjoyed:
-The writing style that grabbed me in from the beginning
-The pacing--I couldn't put it down and devoured it in two days!
-Lucy, and her character, as well as her evolution throughout the novel--I loved her!
-Penebrygg
-Nat, and his complex relationship with Lucy
-Norrie
-Miss Herlaine
-The Invisible College
-The historical background of 1660s London, so beautifully rendered
-The lore of the novel, rich and complex but easy to understand, always explained
-Scargrave
-The Shadowgrims

What I didn't enjoy:
-There were times when I was a little lost in the subterfuge of the novel

I really, really enjoyed Chantress--I can't wait until the next novel! Next on deck: Passion by Lauren Kate!

Comments

Popular Posts