Spellcaster by Claudia Gray Review

Title: Spellcaster
Author: Claudia Gray
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: Spellcaster, book one
Star Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Though a valiant attempt at a book about magic, witches, and darkness, Gray's first novel in this new series disappointed me--the plot seemed too easy to figure out, the characters too plain, and only the lore is enough to keep me reading the next one.

Nadia Caldani is a witch. Her parents have recently divorced, and she moves to Captive's Sound for a fresh start. Once there, she finds the whole town under the influence of powerful, dark magic--especially Mateo Perez, the town crazy. He sees visions of the future, and once he and Nadia meet, they discover the cause of his madness--a powerful Sorceress working with The One Beneath--and the two find themselves up against a force of darkness and evil neither of them have ever seen.

What I enjoyed:
-The writing style of the novel
-The pacing--it flew
-Nadia, and her family
-Mateo, and his curse
-Elizabeth, ever now and then
-Verlaine
-The lore of the novel

What I didn't enjoy:
-The novel at times seemed a bit too slow for my taste
-The villain was far too easy to figure out
-The ending--I really feel that this novel should've been shorter
-The characters, at times, all of them, just irked me, especially Elizabeth
-Nadia's family dynamic
-Jeremy
-There wasn't nearly enough magic or action in this novel for me, and I just didn't like it.

I really didn't like Spellcaster much--I was expecting a lot more from it, and I felt like it left me hanging. Next on deck: Everneath by Brodi Ashton!

Comments

Popular Posts