Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff Review

Title: Paper Valentine
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror/Mystery
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Lyrical, creepy, tender and beautiful, Paper Valentine sucked me in immediately--I loved it! I can't wait for more of Brenna Yovanoff!

Hannah Wagner is a plain Jane girl who's trying to death with her best friend, Lillian's, death, six months earlier. As if this wasn't hard enough, Lillian is haunting her, birds are dying, and it's hotter than ever in the city--and dead bodies of young girls are springing up, with only a paper valentine as a clue. As Hannah gets closer to solving the gruesome mystery, she discovers first love, how to be true to yourself, and how to love someone else, even as she risks her own life..

What I enjoyed:
-The creepy, claustrophobic  narration of Hannah, beautiful and grim and stark
-The pacing--the book flew and I gobbled it up in a matter of hours
-The mystery that Yovanoff presents, which kept me frantically turning pages
-The surprising ending that I didn't see coming
-Ariel
-Finny
-Hannah's family
-Lillian especially, flawed and bratty and yet still a relatable character

What I didn't enjoy:
-There was nothing I didn't love about this novel--despite the grim subject matter, it was beautiful and lovely and absolutely perfect!

I loved Paper Valentine! Anyone looking for a good thriller or ghost story should pick it up! Next on deck: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff!

Comments

Popular Posts