Everneath by Brodi Ashton Review

Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: Everneath, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Beautiful, bittersweet, and complex, this retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth made me fall in love--it was absolutely wonderful!

Nikki Beckett is a Forfeit--a human being selected to go down to the Everneath--Hell, the Underworld, to us regular human beings--but a place where darkness hides and beings called Everlivings--beings without any human emotion--live. Nikki has spent the last spring of the year with Cole in the Everneath, fueling him for the last century. But now Nikki has returned--to her boyfriend, Jack, to her family--and she isn't going back under without a fight. Unfortunately, Cole has followed her, and he's not leaving until he has Nikki back for good..

What I enjoyed:
-The beautiful prose of the novel
-The pacing--it flew and I gobbled it all up
-Nikki, and her determination to live life on her own terms
-Cole, and his love for her, as well as his bad boy persona
-Jack, and his tender, complex relationship with Nikki
-The deep, well-thought out lore of the novel, steeped in multiple mythologies
-The ending--I can't wait for the sequel!
-Nikki's family
-Jules
-The way the novel hooked me--I couldn't stop reading, even as my heart broke and mended in turn

What I didn't enjoy:
-Every now and then Nikki got on my nerves
-I feel that as much information was given, there were as many questions I found myself asking

I loved Everneath--it was a real treat! Anyone looking for a good retelling or romance should get it right away! Next on deck: Ingenue by Jillian Larkin!

Comments

Popular Posts