Firelight by Sophie Jordan Review

Title: Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: Firelight, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A beautiful, romantic tale of a teenage dragon just coming into her own, I greatly enjoyed Firelight--even though at times the heroine and her family annoyed me.

Jacinda Jones is no ordinary teenager--she is a draki, a dragon that is able to take human form. Revered in her pride for being the first fire-breathing draki in centuries, she loves the freedom she gets when she shifts. But that all changes when she is caught in her true form by a hunter--Will, a boy who doesn't want anything to do with his family's destruction. Torn from her home, Jacinda comes across Will again, and the two fall in love--even as forces beyond their control threaten to tear them apart.

What I enjoyed:
-Jacinda's narration, fresh and soulful, if a bit whiny at times, as she struggles to stay true to herself and her kind
-The pacing--it flew and I really enjoyed it
-The lore of the draki, different from traditional dragon knowledge but easily explained and followed
-Will, and his relationship with Jacinda, as well as trying to fight what he was born to
-The ending I kind of saw coming, but was different than I thought

What I didn't enjoy:
-Tamra
-Jacinda's mother
-Xander and Angus
-Cassian
-Most of the pride in general

I really liked Firelight, but not enough to keep reading--something about it just fell short for me. Next on deck: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs!

Comments

Popular Posts